About Me

Jim Killebrew has 40 years of clinical psychological work for people with intellectual disabilities, and experience teaching, administration, consulting, writing with multiple publications. Dr. Killebrew has attended four Universities and received advanced degrees. Southern Illinois University; Ph.D., Educational Psychology; University of Illinois at Springfield, Counseling Education; M.A., Human Development Counseling; Northeastern Oklahoma State University, B.A., Psychology and Sociology. Dr. Killebrew attended Lincoln Christian Seminary (Now Lincoln Christian University). Writing contributions have been accepted and published in several journals: Hospital & Community Psychiatry, The Lookout, and Christian Standard (multiple articles). He may be reached at Killebrewjb@aol.com.

Welcome to my Opinion Pages

Thanks for stopping by and reading some of my thoughts. I hope you will find an enjoyable adventure here on my pages.



The articles are only my opinion and are never meant to hurt anyone nor to downgrade any other person's ideas or opinions.



Scroll through the page and stop to read any of the articles you wish. If you like what you see leave a comment, then tell someone where they can find this site. If you don't like what you read then leave a comment reflecting your thoughts and I will read them when I visit the site from time to time.



Thanks again for stopping by.





Saturday, April 23, 2011

Heaven

Think for a minute about heaven.  We hear people talking about heaven in terms of a city, streets paved with gold, gates made from solid pearl, St. Peter standing at the gate, a book with a list of names written called the "Lamb's Book of Life" and a central throne with God sitting on it with angles tossing their crowns singing Holy, Holy, Holy.
I was driving along the road in my car and wondered aloud about what heaven will be like. 
Will there be neighborhoods with tree-lined roads and green lawns with no weeds, mansions that have been prepared for the faithful and birds singing and butterflies wafting about? 
Will there be bicycles and totally efficient, non-polluting cars and airplanes for travel?
Will there be tulips and tangerines, roses and radishes; or will we have fluffy ice cream and cotton candy?  Will stars be visible or will there be a forever day shining by the Glory of God.
As I continued to think about it I wondered how others in past generations and centuries though about it.  If I had been born in say, 1344 what would I have dreamed about heaven?  When I arrived and by chance saw airplanes, trains, giant ships, cars, electricity, air conditioning, smorgasbords and skyscrapers, I would think it was marvelous and beyond my comprehension.
But since mankind has invented all those things, been to the moon, harnessed the atom, transplanted hearts and kissed away the hurts of little children, it is not likely that heaven will be anything like that.  If we have already invented something on earth I doubt if God will furnish heaven with things that we can produce.
Regardless of the environmental furnishings of heaven, I believe what it will really be is an eternal presence in a face-to-face relationship with our Creator because He, through Jesus Christ, presented Himself as a sacrifice for us by the shedding of His blood, and then rising from death to destroy the hold that death held over us.  Being with Him forever will be heaven.  


1 comment:

Joseph James said...

Being with Him forever will be what makes Heaven for me! Isn't that what the old song says? I believe it is.

Anyway... thanks for stopping by my blog... always nice to have a new friend.